Find us on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/WCGTky
A Message from the GT Coordinator/Teacher.....
Greetings! I am Jennifer Chaplin and I’m the district Gifted & Talented Coordinator and teacher. I wanted to take a minute to introduce you all to GT here in our district. I’m a firm believer in everybody knowing how the gifted program works. GT should not be a mystery.
To my prospective GT students & parents:
GT is not a club you can join. It is a service that is provided to you if you qualify. Kentucky identifies gifted students in grades 4-12 at any year in any of the following areas:
- General Intelligence- cognitive intelligence or how your brain works
- Academic Intelligence- school subjects of math, science, English language arts, & social studies
- Leadership- social skills & interpersonal qualities
- Creativity- divergent thinking in areas of fluency, flexibility, elaboration, & originality
- Visual & Performing Arts- art, vocal music, instrumental music, dance, drama
So how do you qualify? The first step is a recommendation. Anyone can recommend any student. Recommendation forms are located on the What is Gifted? webpage. After I have received the recommendation form, I will open a case file on you and begin collecting data to see if you meet the Ky Gifted Identification regulations. I may need to do individual testing on you which requires a parent signature. After I have collected all the data I need, I take your case to the GT ID Committee to make an informed decision on your possible placement. All GT identifications occur in August, January, and/or May.
To my current GT students & parents:
You will receive 2 main sources of services.
- The first one is tied directly to your identified area and its classroom teacher. So if you are identified in math, your main service is differentiated instruction in your math class.
- The second one is tied directly to your identified area and the GT resource classroom. Here you have the opportunity to choose from a range of services that best meet your needs. Many of these services are in collaboration with 21st Century or Gear-Up.
You will complete beginning of the year paperwork. You may find the Parent Update Form listed on the What is Gifted? webpage. You will then receive a GSSP (Gifted Student Service Plan) and Progress Reports. Services will begin in September and run through April. All GT identifications and progress monitoring occur in August, January, and May.
To everyone, I look forward to working with you this year.
DISTRICT PROCEDURAL SAFEGUARD (APPEALS/GRIEVANCE) FORM
2017 School Year
Elementary 21 Century
Middle 21 Century
5-2016 School Year
21G2 provide powerful resources for kids across the district
2014-2015 School Year